Thursday, October 13, 2011

Awkward Turtle

Text messaging has become the dominant form of communication for my generation. I personally hate talking on the phone but there are some situations when a conversation over the phone is warranted. For example, after exchanging emails via an online dating site and before going on a first date. This is usually a rule for me but sometimes rules get broken and in this case, I wish I would have played it by the book.



James and I exchanged messages on Okcupid. He is 27 and after working full-time for a few years, decided to pursue a master's degree at Pitt. He wants to work as an archivist at a library or museum after graduation. James is tall (which I love) and from his profile, seemed very outgoing and spontaneous (which I also love). We agreed to get drinks at Harris Grill when he returned from his trip to Michigan.



I arrived at Harris Grill first and requested a table upstairs. James looked like his photos but his personality wasn't exactly what I expected. He was socially awkward and refrained from making eye contact with me during our date. I was forced to carry the entire conversation which has proven to be a lot more difficult then it sounds. I was holding the duty phone for a coworker and luckily after about 45 minutes, received a text message from her saying she could pick up the phone which I used as an excuse to get out of there. Saved by the text!

Will I see James again? Oh hell no. I could see him but he wouldn't see me.

-Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment